Friday, August 16, 2013

Settle In

I feel the urge to take root
as if I am a potted plant
trying to bust through
the plastic or ceramic
and dig into the dirt
with my fingers and toes
until they are buried deep
in the earth. 

Each day the yearning
grows and I know
it is for the dirt here,
not back home
where all the memories
of you 
are interwoven
into the trees,
the ground, the grass
and everything
in between. 

I need space
that is my own,
where I can spread out
my roots, 
my branches
and leaves, 
where I can let loose,
where you 
aren't a part
of the landscape
except for where I
(and only I)
choose.

The space here
is an infinite breath
I inhale and never release.
It is magnanimous
and full of relief
all at once,
with the sun forever lingering
upon a horizon
too far out of reach.

My heart is as wide
as the open land
around me
and I have never felt
more free.
I stretch out my arms
like plant limbs
and wait for my roots
to set in.





No comments:

Post a Comment