Sunday, October 3, 2021

Life in Color

I saw my forever in your hazel eyes –
something I never thought I’d want:
picket fences, kids on hips,
Dutch oven dinners with friends,
listening every night to you tune your guitar,
easy living in the suburbs near your parents. 

Life in muted color. 

I stood by you and waited
for the moment you’d see your forever in me.
I never became your lover
and we were never really friends.
I was just a fan you used to feel better
about the life you never made happen.
You burnt me to the ground as a proxy
for your hate every time you weren’t the man
you should’ve been, but the only person
standing in your way was always you.

My forever faded in the rear view
as life came into focus
with all its ugliness and vibrant pain.
We collided into others but never each other –
I thought our moment was over
but you knew it had never begun.

Time has washed you away,
but the memory of what was
and what could’ve been lingers still.
The colors shine brightly now –
maybe they always did
and I just couldn’t see life beyond you.

No comments:

Post a Comment