Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I Let You In, You Let Me Down

I spoke the words
out loud,
giving this pain
a name
so you would know
it's real. 

I let the truth
spill out of my mouth, 
revealing all
like word vomit,
hoping you
could understand
what I've been through. 

But you didn't.
You don't. 

And I haven't spoken
to you since. 

What's the point
if you don't listen?

I know my demons
by name now -
I guess 
thanks to you -
but you don't need 
to meet them
or know them too,
especially
if you're not around
to help me fight them.

This pain isn't fleeting,
it isn't going away. 
It's another battle
in a war I fight 
every time I wake up, 
but it's mine. 

It isn't something
you can fix
or prevent
or take away.

You used to ask me
to be more open,
to tell you things
you didn't know. 

Now that I have, 
I wish I never did.

Maybe then
I wouldn't be
so disappointed
in all the ways
I've let you in
only to be 
left alone.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your poem. Very expressive.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete