Sunday, June 2, 2013

Shedding the Skin of Our Youth

I watched you slip out of sight
as I drove out of town
and out of your life
like it had all been nothing
serious or worthwhile. 

No tears fell
for you or what was
because I knew
what was wasn't real. 

It wasn't the fairytale
or the second chance
for a high school romance
gone bad. It was just comfort
and punishment -
a different kind of pain
to help us forget
the pain of everything else
because everything else
was just too much
to deal with alone
at the time. 

Three years 
have disappeared
since then 
and suddenly
there you are
smiling
cheek-to-cheek
with another girl
in the paper. 

I always knew
there'd be someone new
standing where I stood
like I was never there - 
not once or twice
or for life
like you wanted
(a prison sentence
I wasn't comfortable with). 
It was your way
of moving forward
and it looks like
you've done it -
found your way
to a new life
where I am just 
what was,
not what is
or what will be.  

My way was to leave
and never see
your face again,
knowing you and I 
weren't right
for the second time
or ever again
just like we weren't right
the first time around. 

You look happy,
but it's just a picture
and I have a few
of my own
with that same look
on your face
and we both know
how well that went. 

Maybe you just take
good photos
when it counts
because all the other times
when the camera
wasn't out
you were always 
looking
somewhere else,
for someone else
to keep you going
like I was never enough
even though
you said I was
over and over
like you were hoping
if you said it enough
it would be true.

Or maybe you 
just wanted me
to believe it too. 

I don't know
but I certainly hope
this girl is enough
to keep you focused
on her
and her alone
because you both
deserve
to be enough
for each other. 

I smile at the thought
and toss the paper
out with our memories - 
I don't need them
anymore
now that I know
I didn't break
you 
twice.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Tara. This brings back my memories of you - strong, sweet and so very good with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were always
    looking
    somewhere else,
    for someone else
    "...to keep you going
    like I was never enough
    even though
    you said I was
    over and over
    like you were hoping
    if you said it enough
    it would be true."

    Absolutely beautiful. Your style resonates honest insight. It also makes me want to get back to my own writings. Thank you, Tara!

    ReplyDelete