Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Life Without You

I pick up the phone
to call you
and tell you about my day
but the number I'd dial
isn't yours anymore. 

To say I miss you
will never be enough. 

I still haven't figured out
how to live
somewhere
you no longer
exist
or have never
even visited.

I wish I could go back
and find you again
but even the ghost
of you is gone,
and I feel like
an asthmatic 
always trying
to catch my breath.

There's just never
enough air.

Not here, not there,
not anywhere I look 
because you are gone
and you are not
coming back. 

There's no cure
for the hole
you left in my chest
when you took
that last gasp of air.

We suffocated
together 
even though 
you're the only one
they buried.

I put the phone down
along with the life
I imagined for myself
when you were still here.

Someday I'll remember
I can't call you anymore,
but that day is not today.






No comments:

Post a Comment