Monday, August 18, 2014

Be the Spark

I pull the darkness over me
like a warm blanket;
I don't have the energy
or tools to fight it. 

Daylight is too loud
and I don't want to move;
pain sets my bones on fire,
charring the muscles and sinew.

The words I want to say
never seem to come out.
They are loud and senseless,
so I leave them in my brain 
to roll around
like a bowling ball,
knocking all the good down. 

My scars are invisible to the naked eye,
but that doesn't make them hurt any less.
The bone cage around my heart keeps shrinking,
and only sadness is left. 

The blanket buries me in a hole
that I am not tall or strong enough to climb out,
and I don't know how to ask for help,
afraid to bring someone else down. 

There you are in the darkness,
offering me a hand and helping me up,
pulling the blanket from my shoulders
and telling me today I'm good enough. 




No comments:

Post a Comment