Saturday, November 19, 2011

Break Up

Each word rolls off of your tongue
like a wave rolling out to sea
easy, effortless
as if this is the natural order of things

You say “I love you” like it’s a “hello”
like it’s something to say to everyone
you meet on the street
or when you’re delivering pizza

You smile at me
and I smile back
no thinking involved
no real happiness
pure instinct

You don’t want to be the bad guy
the one that is like everyone else
but you say all the same things
as if everyone else gave you the script
ahead of time just so you’d get it right

Your voice cracks
tears are in your eyes
you don’t want to hurt me
so why are you doing it then?

So many lies
so much time
wasted
all because you
couldn’t
wouldn’t
tell me the truth

You aren’t like everyone else
You’re worse

No comments:

Post a Comment