Friday, April 5, 2013

Someday

Everyone told me
you weren't the one
but you never said
anything
as if even you
were still deciding,
still mulling over
if you could be
more
enough
something different
than what you were.

One kiss
One night
Never one word
of warning
that I was in this alone.

Eighteen years later
and you finally tell me
you never felt the same
never wanted more
never looked at me
with the love
I hoped you would someday
feel.

Someday came and went
and what is left?

Six thousand five hundred seventy days
of ifs
is all I have
like I should've known
that what was good for you
that what I could give
and how little I'd ask for in return
wasn't ever going to be
what you wanted.

You have freed me
from the prison
I stuffed myself into
all those years ago,
trying to become someone
I was never going to be -
someone you could love.

I should thank you
for my liberation
but why
did you wait
so long?
What do I have
to look forward to
now?

Take back your words
and lock me back up.
Throw away the key
and let me wait
for someday
to come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment